Better Bennington Corporation
Board Meeting Minutes
August 11, 2016
Bennington Fire Station
The mission of the Better Bennington Corporation
is to build, improve, and support a vital downtown that benefits our entire community.
Present: President Michael McDonough, Jeannie Jenkins, Eric Peterson, Shelley Colvin, Michael Keane, Edie Sawitsky, Heather Maneely, Beth Wilwol, Ted Bird, Matthew Harrington*, Michael Harrington*. Staff: John Shannahan and Diane Perry.*Ex-officio
Absent: Keith Carey, Kelley Clarke.
Call to Order
A quorum was confirmed by President Michael McDonough who then convened the meeting at 7:35AM.
The July 2016 board minutes were reviewed. Action/Resolution- a motion to approve was made by Edie Sawitsky and seconded by Ted Bird. Motion carried with two abstentions.
Treasurer Shelley Colvin reported on the financials which were reviewed at the Organizational level. All is in order. Action/Resolution- a motion to approve was made by Edie Sawitsky, seconded by Heather Maneely. Motion carried unanimously.
Director’s Report Discussion regarding report:
- Outdoor seating -tables & chairs that were used for the BAW reception this past weekend are still set up in Memorial Park. Action/Resolution – make decisions regarding keeping table & chairs permanently arranged.
- Sonatina Piano Camp – their flash mob inspired community discussions about creating artwork in the crosswalks. Action/Resolution - John will keep us updated on any development.
- BBC & Chamber merge concept – John was invited to a meeting in which community individuals sought clarity on the roles and separate roles of each organization. Action/resolution – chamber collaboration & BBC name change discussions will be held at Organization level to present to Board.
- AT Community – John is researching how to receive an “AT Community” designation. Action/Resolution – John to coordinate with the Town before applying.
- Park @ 336 Fundraising - the fundraising committee has not reviewed the current plan in order to present to the Board. Action/Resolution - put on next month’s Board agenda.
- Interfaith Council – the organization is looking for a new home for their food pantry and free clinic. They are interested in a Main Street location to serve as a medical clinic and food pantry. The BBC Board would like to meet with Interfaith Board to perhaps find a way to work together through this complex situation. What is BBC’s role if any? How does BBC guide or create ways that are beneficial to Downtown, how do we influence development in the Downtown district. Action/Resolution – John will continue to serve the BBC Mission to represent the business community. He will first contact Bill Colvin and next contact the Interfaith director. Action/Resolution – the Org committee will propose protocol for future similar situations. The Org committee will also set future guidelines for the Executive Director on what should be addressed or not and what information to bring back to the Board.
Election of Officer
The Organization committee nominated Beth Wilwol for the secretary position. A motion to accept Beth Wilwol as Secretary was made by Ted Bird, seconded by Michael Keane. Motion carried unanimously.
The chair asked to go into executive session.
The BBC Board goes into Executive Session for contracts, personnel, litigation or subject matters which premature
disclosure could harm any party.
The Board came out of Executive Session. Michael McDonough called for the adjournment of the meeting at
9:00am. Action/Resolution - a motion was made to adjourn by Michael Keane, seconded by Beth Wilwol.
Motion carried unanimously.
Beth Wilwol, Secretary
Better Bennington Corporation