Better Bennington Corporation
Board Meeting Minutes
March 10, 2016
Community College of Vermont
The mission of the Better Bennington Corporation
is to build, improve, and support a vital downtown that benefits our entire community.
Present: President Jeannie Jenkins, Michael McDonough, Eric Peterson, Edie Sawitsky, Michael Keane, Shelley Colvin, Heather Maneely, Beth Wilwol, Ted Bird, Michael Harrington*, Matt Harrington*. Staff: John Shannahan and Diane Perry. *Ex-officio
Absent: Milt Surdam, Keith Carey, Tracey Schwarz.
Call to Order
A quorum was confirmed by Jeannie Jenkins who then convened the meeting at 7:35AM.
The February 2016 board minutes were reviewed. Action/Resolution- a motion to approve was made by Edie Sawitsky and seconded by Michael Keane. Motion carried unanimously.
Treasurer Shelley Colvin reported on the financials which were reviewed at the Organizational level. All is in order. Action/Resolution- a motion to approve was made by Ted Bird, seconded by Heather Maneely. Motion carried unanimously.
Director’s Report Discussion regarding report:
- · St Patrick’s Day Parade – is now in planning stages. The route of the parade has been changed this year. Action/Resolution – all Board members are encouraged to attend. Possibly host a BBC float next year.
- · Collaborations- the BBC is working with BCRC, Town, and Chamber to coordinate efforts on recruitment. They are working together by communicating each stage of their recruiting process. Mike Harrington has put the Town’s recruitment results in his annual Town report. The recruitment funnel is a possible answer to the recruitment question and challenges of the community. Action/Resolution- the Director will keep Board updated and informed.
- · Park @ 336 Funding Strategy - the Design committee wants to be retained as the committee to work on Park @336. A sub group will work in conjunction for the fundraising component. A point person has not yet been designated. The park sign will be installed next week and there will be a press release in relation to the sign. Fundraising effort are focusing on targeted donors such as the hospital and other corporate entities in the community. Effective online fundraising is being researched. The committee is preparing community presentations to the rotary and other groups as one way to reach people in the community. Action/Resolution – the Design committee will continue fundraising efforts. All board members are encouraged to contribute to the fundraising.
- · Benn in Bloom- The committee reviewed the annual Bennington in Bloom contract and are giving broad, general comments. Downtown revitalization has been an important component and Bennington was one of the first downtowns to put enhancements into place, but those improvements are becoming outdated and in need of revitalizing. It is now time to think about renewing ourselves and our efforts. Action/Resolution - Design committee to give an annual and informal review to the town that prioritizes the top revitalizing components that can be improved each year.
- · Efficiency Vermont – guest Meg Chambers from Efficiency Vermont informed our Board about their recent outreach program campaign in Bennington. Today is the first day working in Bennington. They have been working with BBC, Town, and Chamber prior to set up a work base, area contacts, and marketing. Increased presence over the next 6 months will include scheduled residential and business visits and hosting workshops open to public. The overall goal of this outreach program is to let the community know what opportunities Efficiency Vermont can provide. Action/Resolution – market Efficiency Vermont as a partnership with BBC. Contact Meghan Chambers at #802.540.7706 directly for more information.
Jeannie Jenkins called for the adjournment of the meeting at 8:58am. Action/Resolution - a motion was made to adjourn by Michael Keane, seconded by Ted Bird. Motion carried unanimously.
Eric Peterson, Secretary
Better Bennington Corporation